ALBUM : TOY
ARTIST : YELLO
GENRE : EDM
DATE RELEASED : 2016
Few only realized that this is an 80’s band and perhaps had some listeners tried to discover this band, many of them would ask themselves how could this band avoided their listening pleasure. Yello is considered as one of the pioneers of EDM music. This Swiss EDM and synth band had their music included in some movie soundtrack such as FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF, THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS, and THE SIMPSONS. This album is its 13th solo album. Indeed, it is remarkably surprising that this band managed to survive over the years.
Watch official video of “Limbo” in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ksYVM2cWY.
One possible reason for Yello’s continued survival is their ability to create their own sound. As an EDM band, it is expected that their album would be laden with dance music. This is not the case in this album. In fact, the tracks in this album are all pure audio delight. The heavy bass vocal that similarly sounds with the voice over of “this is CNN” is another reason why this is a delightful album. The whispering vocal does not mimic the sexiness of Barry White but rather just create a narrative to complement the sound. This one of the most brilliant album the EDM genre has produced and credit goes to the following songs:
- Pacific AM – invites listeners on a journey.
Listen to fan-made audio recording of “Pacific AM” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WcaR7-KhCc.
- Limbo – reminds listeners that EDM doesn’t have to be noisy.
- 30,000 Days– is an example that EDM music can make one relax and just enjoy the vibe and sound.
Watch official video of 30,000 Days here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2GuuIBDS0o.
- Tool of Love – is a great experimentation in terms of merging different EDM sounds to create a track with good melodies and hooks.
- Dialectical Kid – is like a homage to eighties New Wave band like Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk.
Watch “Dialectical Kid” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aksyabJi4o.
- Dark Side – this track is perhaps the best thing that can happen if Bjork and Kate Bush duet will not ever materialize.
- Blue Biscuit – perhaps this track aims to remind EDM DJ’s and artists that this genre has many possibilities instead of creating a song that uses repetitive sound.
If you want to explore EDM sound and prevent the situation that your appreciation is limited to current EDM DJ’s then this record is a must own for you. I rate this record 4 stars out of 5 stars and definitely a shoo-in as one of nominees for Electronic and Dance album of the year.
1 stars = Ignore it
2 stars = risk it
3 stars = borrow or buy it
4 stars = buy it and keep it
5 stars = buy, keep, and treasure it