ALBUM : JOANNE
ARTIST : LADY GAGA
GENRE : POP
DATE RELEASED : 2016
Her last pop album felt like was released eons ago as some loyal fans would put it. Thus, there are great expectations with her latest album. However, the initial feedback from the singer herself that it is quite country turned off some of her fans but she doesn’t give a damn as according to her this album will be an adventure towards generating new fans. For some, this is an album geared towards recovering lost integrity in musical creativity.
- Diamond Heart – has good melody and hook unfortunately, her vocal performance is quite irritating as she sounded like singing with her nose clipped.
- Ayo – is like listening to Taylor’s Swift with Nikki Minaj going country instead of rap.
Listen to this song in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZGMTssZ7E8.
- Joanne – for a tribute song, the repetitive singing of “girl where you do you think you’re going” is some sort of an irritation on top of the annoying vocal twangs when she sings this song.
- John Wayne – she is like Sheryl Crow invading pop territory.
- Dancin in Circles – is like Ace of Base in terms of musical vibe.
- Perfect Illusion – breathless not in a sexy way but somehow the song needs a long break somewhere as it is quite exhilarating to listen.
Watch the official video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn599R0ZBwg.
- Million Reasons – the charm in this song is on the lyrics; everyone can relate to it. Musically, it’s so generic.
Listen to Million Reasons here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRJ-ryPEu0
- Sinner’s Prayer – a song that could have been composed by Dolly Parton. There is a little bit of likeness with “Coward of The Country” by Kenny Rogers in some parts of the song.
- Come To Mama – just highlight one of the biggest problems in this album; her ability to chew and eat the words makes it difficult for listeners to comprehend what she is singing all about. The song has very generic musical arrangement and even musical instrumentation.
- Hey Girl – has her singing a song that could have been intended for Mariah Carey and there is even an uncanny vocal resemblance in some parts and to think that she has Florence Welch as back up vocals.
Listen to this song in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoayrcfTStg.
- Angel Down – there is this feeling that she wants to add Beyonce as one of the flavors in this album. The whole vibe of this song is similar to the vibe of songs in Beyonce’s Lemonade album.
She should have called this album 31 Flavors but Alana Davis beat her to it decades ago. This album is still a pop album with different flavors; she did not only invade country territory but also infused the album with different musical genre. Thus, it was quite a misstep on her part to focus on the country flavor. The album is still delightful despite some weak lyrics and verses. There are hooks that can make you hum after listening to some songs like the one in ‘Perfect Illusion.” The album isn’t album of the year material but not worst album of the year either. So, this record deserves a 2.5 stars rating.
1 stars = Ignore it
2 stars = risk it
3 stars = borrow or buy it
4 stars = buy it and keep it
5 stars = buy, keep, and treasure it