ALBUM : IN BRILLIANT WHITE
ARTIST : FRA LIPPO LIPPI
GENRE : POP
DATE RELEASED : 2002
It is quite surprising that this Norwegian band manage to survive all these years. The band has the kind of music that even loyal fans would find repulsive after serving the same kind of music quality over the years. There is that perception that Fra Lippo Lippi like the monks of long ago, is clinging on to their past success instead of expanding a different musical horizon.
This is the last album of Fra Lippo Lippi and it is time to revisit if there is a need to resurrect this band. Here is a track by track review:
- Story of Broken Heart – this song manage to put all the elements of an engaging Fra Lippo Lippi song that is, good instrumentation, easy listening melody, and cheesy lyrics.
Listen to “Story of Broken Heart” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzX5k0Yibmk.
- Faithful – the first few bars of this song will surprise you and you thought that the band has finally embraced EDM but the moment the piano sound enters the song, you feel like some sort of a disappointment. The song indeed could have become more interesting had it infused ala “William Orbit” sound.
Listen to “Faithful” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGht8fKvBZQ.
- Will I Recognize – this is like a rejuvenated song from rejects of their The Color Album.
- Come On – good hooks and you will find yourself singing along the lyrics “come on come on.”
Listen to “Come On” in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrpXwFxN9O8
- Later – it is a good thing that Per Oystein Sorensen manage to retain the sound of Fra Lippo Lippi. Perhaps this is the reason why this song is the most pleasurable to listen in this album. It feels like going home; the song is like listening to some of their old hits especially the ones that were included in “Light and Shade” album.
Watch fan made music video here https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fra+lippo+lippi+later.
- While We Were Two ft. Kyla – the album could have been coherent had Per Sorensen excluded it from the set. There is no chemistry between Per and Kyla and the song is very amateurish.
Listen to “While We Were Two” in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE0OBmLZyY0.
- Ordinary Guy – in this track, there is a Savage Garden vibe. The intro has “I Want You” sound. The whole vibe of the song is very generic; it is like listening to America at their career peak.
Listen to “Ordinary Guy” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykwz0tt5NEo.
- Stay – I don’t know if Per Sorensen is trying to be relevant here as the song is like a boy band stuff.
- Who Is Your Buddha – the reason that this song is quite difficult to listen to is that the song title does not complement the whole vibe of the song. The song is like a nineties dance music trying to be intellectual.
- If I Knew Then – is like a filler song from a David Foster compilation.
Listen to “If I Knew Then” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goYzB6MoOgs.
Some of the songs in here have good hooks and melodies unfortunately it cannot save the album from not being able to breach beyond mediocre level. Perhaps if the band decides to issue another brand new record, Per Sorensen should reunite with his other band mate Rune Kristoffersen. Indeed, two heads are better than one. With that, it is up for you to decide if you want to revisit this album for the sake of missing the sound of Fra Lippo Lippi. I rate this record 2 stars out of 5 stars.
1 stars = Ignore it
2 stars = risk it
3 stars = borrow or buy it
4 stars = buy it and keep it
5 stars = buy, keep, and treasure it