ALBUM : I STILL DO
ARTIST : ERIC CLAPTON
GENRE : FOLK / BLUES
DATE RELEASED : 2015
Perhaps the album title is a declaration that he is still around and he is still great as ever and producing great music. Let us review the album track by track.
- Can’t Let You Do – signifies that Eric Clapton hasn’t lost his touch when it comes to crafting beautiful music.
Singalong with official lyric video of “Cant Let You Do” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_7LUKlxKp0
- I Will Be There – is like a James Taylor’s “You’ve Got A Friend” lyrically and musically it’s “Every Breath You Take of The Police. And, there is a little bit of Motown too the moment you hear the background vocals singing ‘I will be there, don’t be afraid, “ and among other words.
Listen to Eric Clapton sing with Ed Sheeran in “I Will Be There” https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eric+clapton++i+still+do
- Spiral – in this song he sang about “I just keep playing my song” and this probably the reason why the song sounds familiar. It is a good old song from Eric Clapton all over again; it’s sounds like “Wonderful Tonight” meets “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.”
Watch fan made video of “Spiral” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gKPuxV3MkY
- Catch The Blues – one of the most engaging tracks in this album as it could possibly land in some Chill or ambient collections. It is quite an oddity for him to sing this kind of song jazzy and breezy.
Listen to audio recording of “Catch The Blues” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5eANGRqz4Q
- Cypress Groove – if this song landed in one of his early recordings, this could have made greater impact. This is quite heavy to be included in this album where most tracks are easy to listen to. The song broke the fun side of this album in terms of vibe and sound.
- Little Man You’ve Had A Busy Day – if Eric Clapton thought that he could recreate the beauty of “Layla,” as this song has only the plucking of a guitar as musical background and perhaps, he was not expecting much in this track. In this song, you can feel a father’s love while watching his son playing his toys instead of seducing a love one.
- Stones In My Passway – this track sounds like a gospel song and even more compounded with the theme of this track which is about people throwing stones at him.
Watch official music video of “Stones In My Passway” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP_YxRKN6zQ
- I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine – this song will remind you of his MTV Unplugged album where listeners were treated to a musical feast. It’s all about good old song and basic musical instruments all over again and still it manages to catch your attention.
- I’ll Be Alright – what makes Eric Clapton more interesting despite his age is that he is able to capture the emotional essence of the song no matter how simple and trite the lyrics are. Perhaps in this song, he still lamenting the death of his child who fell from his condo decades ago.
Listen to audio recording of “I’ll Be Alright” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz8vgdRRNmc
- Somebody’s Knockin – trust this man to treat a song literally sometimes. In this track, he made the musical background seems knocking on the door too. And the electric guitar background just give the ambience of someone’s going to the door and opening it.
Listen to audio recording of “I’ll Be Seeing You” here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lcvPdzNkT4
- I’ll Be Seeing You – as the last song in this album, he might be telling us that he will be producing more albums later on. He will continue writing songs that fans are familiar with.
The final judgement is that this album is a cohesive album even though that Eric Clapton is still singing about longing and loneliness but this time, he is offering his shoulders to relieve others of their pain and heartache also. It is cohesive in a sense that the musical trajectory is to limits along the boundary of his musical style. With that, I rate this album 4 stars out of 5 stars.
1 stars = Ignore it
2 stars = risk it
3 stars = borrow or buy it
4 stars = buy it and keep it
5 stars = buy, keep, and treasure it