ALBUM TITLE : THIS IS ACTING
ARTIST : SIA
GENRE : POP
DATE RELEASED : 2016
Indeed there are huge expectations with SIA’s follow up album to her very successful “1000 Forms of Fear” album. This is album is one of the most anticipated follow up album and let us find out if it deserved this anticipation from her fans and non-fans alike. Here is a track by track review of the album.
- All By Myself – is some kind of a misstep as the introductory song in this album. It sounds like a track she composed for a pop superstar but was rejected and ended up doing it herself.
- Alive – the drum and base anthemic track sounds delicious to the ear when you factor the lyrics “I’m still breathing” and with wailing vocals. It makes you want to help her sing along.
- One Million Bullets – is another mishap in this record as it sounded like a reworking of her “Chandelier” song minus the 1-2-3, 1-2-3 hook. She must have Adele in mind when she wrote this song you can actually imagine the British pop star singing this song.
- Move Your Body – the title alone suggest that this is not a ballad but a dance tune. Sadly, the tune is very Jennifer Lopez minus Pitbull doing the rap thing. It has a good intro but the vibrancy faded as soon as she started singing. She probably had in mind Gwen Stefani when she wrote this song as the vocal performance sounded like Gwen.
- Unstoppable – if this song was released during the nineties, it would have been a hit as one could not mistake the song as either an Ariana Grande track or as Demi Lovato’s.
- Cheap Thrills – it is like Selena Gomez doing a supposed mature song but ended up Madonna trying to sound like Rihanna.
- Reaper – and talking of Rihanna, here is the song that one could conclude that was rejected by the Barbadian superstar.
- House on Fire – sounds like an 80’s movie soundtrack. But this track doesn’t have the characteristics of soundtrack hits like “Footloose”, “Kokomo” or “The Heat Is On.” It simply means that the song failed to soar and becomes boring as it nears the end.
- Footprints – this track sounds like an early Beyonce track. But that’s just it, very generic track.
- Sweet Design – sampling “The Thong Song” might be bold but it was not as stroke of genius. This track is the kind of song where listeners will opt to press the forward button of their mp3 player.
- Broken Glass- the lyrics sounded like a motivational speech and it follows that it is backed up with musical background that will send feelings higher. But the vocal performance of SIA in this track felt like she was just mumbling words thus, this track is not very encouraging.
- Space Between – in this track, you can imagine her doing a Scarlet O Hara singing instead of reciting the famous line “As God is my witness, I shall never go hungry again.”
While you can say that this is a compilation of rejects, the whole album is still very delightful to listen. It matches the musicality of her previous hit album but none of the songs in here is destined to be classic like her “Chandelier” which was nominated for Grammy song of the year award.
This record deserve a 3.5 star rating.
1 star = Ignore it
2 stars= risk it
3 stars = borrow or buy it
4 stars = buy it and keep it
5 = buy, keep, and treasure it