ALBUM REVIEW : SILVERBALL
ARTIST : BARENAKED LADIES
GENRE : ROCK
DATE RELEASED : 2011
This album from this group is like listening to a tribute album of different rock and pop gods. If you are looking for catchy songs along the likes of their “One Week,” you won’t find it here. Instead, you will be treated to an album that will give a feeling that you have listen to this kind of song before. The nearest song that can match up to “One Week” in this record is the track “Hold My Hand.”
And talking of feels like you heard it all before, here are some rundowns:
- Passcode is quite Beatlesque.
- Narrow Streets is so new wave in sounds and style.
- “Say What You Want” has an intro that sounds like retro rock as if you expect that this group will go all rock ala Deep Purple.
- There is also that feathery vocals similar to Christopher Cross’ voice in songs like “Toe To Toe” and “Tired of Fighting With You.”
- There is a bit of dance or disco in “Piece of Cake” and along in the middle of the song, you feel like listening to Bellamy Brothers “ Let Your Love Flow.”
So, what is the impact of different sounds and styles in one album? Well, it made the whole record not boring to listen to. With that, I rate this album 3 stars out of 5 stars.
1 star = Ignore it
2 stars= risk it
3 stars = borrow or buy it
4 stars = buy it and keep it
5 = buy, keep, and treasure it